Sunday, January 1, 2012

Week Summary 12/26 - 1/1


12-26-2011
Mon - Cycling

Took the feet off the ground and onto the pedals today for an easy 10 miles just to shake the legs out after a weekend of solid back-to-backs. Feeling good.

12-27-2011
Tue - 1:22 PM

12-28-2011
Wed - 1:12 AM

12-29-2011
Thurs - OFF (rest day)

12-30-2011
Fri - 3:13 PM

Took advantage of the day off from work and made the trip up to Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. I’ve been planning to get up there and today’s perfect weather was ideal for a long day in the trails. Great climbs and some decent technical features in the trails. That place kind of feels like upstate NY if you get deep enough into some of the woods. I know VCP is nothing like the Blue Ridges, but it is definitely better/more challenging than the North Woods in Central. After all, you have to be creative when you’re living on island of the concrete! Thanks, VCP... Definitely utilizing you for my modified trail training grounds when time allows for it.

12-31-2011
Sat - 1:58 PM (half marathon race run, followed by a few easy miles of cool down)

Despite feeling pretty beat up from yesterday’s afternoon tackling some technical trails, I happened to feel great after a few minutes on the road and made the decision to race hard for 13.1 miles and see if I could grab a personal best on a self made race course. So it was on from the Upper East Side all the way into Astoria Park in Queens and back. and, according to my Garmin, I PRed by almost a full minute! Definitely satisfied with that, considering the out-and-back included a climb over the Queensboro Bridge two times. Slowed up a bit on the slog up the bridge on the way back, but it was great practice for gunning it on the descent to make up the lost time. I couldn’t believe how good I felt racing it hard and all on dead legs. I’d say it was the perfect way to say “goodbye” to 2011 and wrap up a solid year of rave runs and races. I’m pumped to see what next year has in store for the runs -- I’m dubbing 2012 the “Year of the Ultras” (injuries, you are not invited).


1-1-2012
Sun - :30 PM (recovery run)

Planned on taking today off after doing my back-to-backs on Friday and Saturday, but figured I just couldn’t start out 2012 with a rest day -- a perfect reason to put on the shoes for a recovery run and kick off the year with some relentless forward motion. Happy New Year!


Week Totals: 8h 15m

Overall, a good week of running with a slight decrease in training volume (pulled back a couple hours for the recovery week after a solid first training quarter of building for Bel Monte). I’m hoping the small bit of rest gives me a big boost for the upcoming weeks of some heavy back-to-backs. The schedule is set to be quite busy for the next 2 weeks, so I’ll have to get creative in fitting in the longer workouts and adequate time in the trails. Bel Monte, I’m coming for you.



NYC's version of a peak -- Standing atop the "summit" during an afternoon in the trails of Van Cortlandt Park.
Friday, Dec. 30, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment